Sunday, March 25, 2012

Seedlings

Well, so far I haven't killed anything.  My seeds are now sprouting seedlings.  The garlic is thriving and I will probably transplant it and a few others later this week.  I really need to take pictures to document my progress.  I was planning to possibly plant my cukes earlier than recommended, since we had several days of very high heat.  I'm talking in the mid to uppers 80s.  But Friday it rained and really lowered the temps into the mid 60, with about 40-50 degrees at night.  I can't wait until it is time to plant the other things I am planning to.

I intend to plant bush tomatoes; hopefully Hatcher's will have Tumbler tomatoes, which are specifically developed to grow in containers.  I am considering buying a pole designed to go in the ground to hold plants.  That way they would get plenty of sunlight.  I will also need a trellis for my cukes.  The carrot seeds I bought are for a small variety called fingering, so I think a 12" pot would work just fine.

I went to the local Family Dollar and they sell very nice looking plastic pots for $2.00 apiece.  I plan to put the herbs on the steps of my apartment.  It faces east, so hopefully that will be enough light.  If not, I will move them to the backyard.  My main problem there is that (1 they are not as accessible and (2 the downstairs neighbor might not like it if I use the back stairs, since they go to her apartment.  That is one issue I don't know how to deal with: the backyard is open to both apartment and I hope that she will not take my veggies without asking.  Still, they aren't even planted yet, so I will worry about that if and when it comes up. 

No comments: