Sunday, July 3, 2016

TdF Stage 1 & 2

So, yesterday saw the start of the Tour de Fleece.  I had to work, then volunteered for a few hours at Heritage Farm, so ended up doing Stage 1 on one of my drop spindles, spinning some Jacob roving I got a few years ago at MDSW.  I got the spindle mostly full, so am happy with it:


Today, for Stage 2, I started on the main project I have planned for the tour.  I have ~5 lbs of a Leicester Longwool x, also purchased at MDSW, and will be playing with it for the next several, using different preps and drafting to see which I prefer.  Once I decide which I like best, I will be spinning the rest in that style and (hopefully) knitting a sweater out of it.  

So, I split the fleece into 1 ozes and spun them each on a bobbin.  Two ozes were spun long draw and will be plyed tomorrow.  The other bobbin was spun short draw and I still have the other bobbin to spin tomorrow, then it will be plyed with the one from today on Tuesday.


I am really looking forward to seeing the differences that the prep and drafting will have on the fiber and the yarn that I end up with.  I'll be flick carding them on Wednesday and again drafting both LD and SD.   Then I'll card them on my hand cards, then comb with a dog brush.  I don't own wool combs, but hope to be able to buy a pair before the end of the tour.


No comments: