Friday, November 28, 2008

About me

I figured, since I doubt too many people will go back to check out my old blog, I would tell a little about myself. I am a 25 year old History Major at Marshall University in West Virginia. My main area of focus will be the history of the Appalachias. I am proud to be from WV, and want to gain better understanding of the past, to better understand why this state is as it is today. Trust me, get me started and I will talk about it for hours.

I am also a knitter. I started knitting about three years ago, when I bought one of those Boyes 'Teach Yourself to Knit' kits at Walmart. The kit included an instruction book, a set of US 6 and US 8 needles, stitch markers, a stitch holder, a cable needle, two point protector, two darning needles and a row counter. I decided I didn't learn form the book very well, and went out and bought a 'I Can't Believe I Am Knitting' DVD. I have never looked back.

Knitting has brought me a great deal. I am somewhat shy and don't make friends easily, but knitting opened up a whole new world for me. While at my favorite LYS, Yarn and More in Ashland, Kentucky, the owner, Linda told me about the local guild that meets every month in South Point, the River Cities Fiber Guild. I went to my first meeting in March of 2008 and immediately loved it. Everyone was so friendly. Two meetings later, I learned to spin on a drop spindle. I was watching a woman, who's name I can't remember, and she held it out to me and asked if I wanted to try. That is the way it always is, if someone wants to try something new, all they need to do is ask.

I also began attending a local Stitch and Bitch. A few people in the SnB were also in the guild, which is how I found out about it. Every Thursday, we meet in a local coffee bar, and sit, talk, eat and knit. I love the friends I have made there.

At the moment I am just happy I finished two of the dishcloths. I am sure I can finish enough for most of my family for Christmas. Also, Jon told me he needed a scarf. Which answers the question of whether he would wear one if I made it.

Here are the pictures of the two finished dishcloths.
















The red one is called Michigan Cherries and the variegated is called Bee Skep. I think the cherries will be going to my Aunt Sandi and the bees to my Mamaw Rose.

I am also a quilter and am in the process of hand-quilting a crib quilt for my niece, Kira. She is three months old and is cute as a button. The quilt is in 30s repro, from a charm pack I bought at a LQS. I will post a picture when I finish it. I have been quilting for about 5 years.

Let's see, what else. I also cross-stitch. In fact, I learned to cross-stitch long before I learn to quilt or knit. It started with a high school home-ec class for extra credit. But I fell in love and now have a ton of patterns and thread at home.

Well, I think that is enough for now. TTFN.

No comments: