Monday, January 12, 2009

Random Thoughts


I am very happy because I finished this hat Sunday morning while at work. It was my first time knitting cables, and they came out very well. I started using a cable needle but ended up using a 5in dpn for most of it. I wore it this morning while walking to the post office. Cold or not, I was not going to waste the gas to drive a block!


A few days after Christmas I entered into a trade with a knitter on Ravelry. I traded her some roving I decided I would probably never use for the Yarn Harlot's Never Not Knitting page-a-day calender. We were both beginning to to wonder if it got lost, because she mailed it on Jan 2 and it still had not arrived. She got the roving last week. But there it was this morning, in all it's harloty glory!

I am getting a bit peeved at my landlord. I paid the rent on Jan 3 and the check still has not cleared. If he lost it, I am not writing another one. Once it leaves my hands, it is his responsibility.

Once again I am going to sing the praises of my crock-pot. I don't get paid until tomorrow and the cupboards are bare. So what did I do? Simply dug the leftover chili from where I froze it last week, stuck it in the fridge to thaw and there you go, two meals in one Ziploc bag. After I cash my paycheck, I am planing to make beef stew. All I need is beef, a few potatoes, baby carrots and seasoning.

It feels weird not to be starting class today. I was not eligible for financial aid and was unable to pay the tuition. So, I will have to take a class in the summer and reapply for financial aid after I get my tax info from last year.
You will probably (hopefully) be seeing a lot of socks on this blog this year. On Ravelry, on of the new groups I have joined is the Sock Challenge of 2009. The challenge is to knit 1 pair of socks per month in 09. I thought it sounded cool and I have enough sock yarn to last me about 4 months. I am almost finished with the first socks, the YH basic sock recipe, and have queue the next pair, a cable pattern based off of the basic sock recipe. They will be knit in Cestari sock yarn, colorway Green Heather. I have managed to avoid casting them on until I finish the first pair.
I also cast on a scarf for myself. I realized that I have knit about six scarves, and never kept one for my own use. So, I am knitting the same pattern as Kara's Christmas scarf, but in four colors instead of two. I am using remnants of another finished project. It is Oasis Yarn Aussi Wool.

4 comments:

Yoda said...

you have a nice blog.

Wish you all success..




Regards

YoDa

meowmom said...

Nice hat. The yarn looks a lot like what I'm using on my palindrome scarf --Plymouth Rainshadow-- a baby alpaca. Usually I cable without a cable needle but the alpaca is so fuzzy I was splitting stitches, dropping stitches, you name it. I'm so not used to using a cable needle it really slowed me down at first.

Jenny said...

Thank you, Yoda.

Meowmom, mine is knit with Lion's Brand Jiffy. It is acrylic, but still very soft and warm. I am glad I finished it before the cold weather started! I generally use a dpn as a cable needle.

K said...

I was starting to get upset with the mail myself...LOL why in the world does it take so long sometimes! LOL I'm so thankful that it arrived safe & sound & that you love it!

thanks!
Kim